Farming With Aquaponics – Kijani Grows Aquaponics 101 DemonstrationAugust 10th, 2012 by Craig Mullins
Aquaponics: An earth-friendly way to grow produce and harvest fish and by mimicking nature through the combination of aqua-culture (growing fish) and hydroponics (growing vegetables without soil). Because the fish waste is a natural fertilizer, there is no need for harmful chemicals or pesticides.
Kijani Grows is a farming technology organization located in West Oakland, California, comprised of a collaboration of farmers, artists, engineers, builders, and educators who advocate for urban and alternative farming methods. They use aquaponics to improve the lives of those in both urban and rural communities by utilizing traditional concepts, local materials and modern technologies.
Eric Mandu of Kijani Grows is especially interested in the use and education of aquaponics, focusing on the small scale operations, showing how easy it is for anyone to have their own aquaponics system no matter how little space the have.
Benefits of growing Aquaponically:
– Aquaponics uses a fraction of the water that traditional field production does because no water is wasted or consumed by weeds.
– In aquaponics, plant spacing can be very intensive, allowing you to grow more plants in a given space.
– By eliminating the soil in vegetable production, you eliminate all soil borne disease.
– With high stocking densities in the fish tank, plants will quickly grow and develop in an aquaponic system.
– In aquaponics there cannot be any pesticides or herbicides used, making the end product healthier and safer.
– Aquaponics provides a truly organic, natural form of nutrients for the plants.
Fun Fact: Kijani is the Swahili word for the color green.
Check out aquaponic demonstrations from Eric Mandu of Kijani Grows on his YouTube page HERE.
The above pictures were taken during a recent aquaponics demonstration given by Eric Mandu of Kijani Grows at the West Oakland Farmers Market in West Oakland, CA.
West Oakland Farmers’ Market – Phat Beets Produce
5715 Market Street Oakland, CA 94608
Open Saturdays 9:00am to 2:00pm