The BioPod Plus Black Soldier Fly Larvae Breeding Bin – Grub CompostingJanuary 9th, 2013 by Craig Mullins
While many compost bins can take 6-12 months to break down their contents, the BioPod™ can eliminate most of your food scraps in as little as 24-36 hours. Like composting and vermiculture, the BioPod™ uses beneficial grubs to digest and decompose your kitchen waste, while producing valuable finished products.
The specific bioconversion process by which valuable proteins and fats are captured and recycled, rather than degraded, into usable biomass by a beneficial decomposer is referred to as Grub Composting. The signature species utilized in our systems is the juvenile Black Soldier Fly, Hermetia illucens, which we lovingly call Solider Grubs. Virtually harmless to pets, humans and wildlife, this native arthropod does not spread disease, cannot bite or sting, and will not annoy you at backyard picnics!
- Re-capture valuable lipids and proteins found in kitchen waste and transform them into usable live feed for your fish.
- Beneficial Soldier Grubs are self-separating, auto-harvesting, robust, prolific, hardy, indigenous, harmless, easy-to-store, simple to transport, dry to the touch in pupal stage, a convenient bait, and extremely nutritious.
- Covered harvest bucket auto-collects grubs for simple, no-hassle separation. Bucket fits snuggly into body and features a drip channel that diverts condensation and precipatation away from the contents, a carrying handle to remove unit from body while providing a means of gripping, an air port slot to keep grubs from suffocating, and a top entry chute when the grubs fall.
- Convenience lid easily pivots, allowing for quick dumping of food scraps,while shielding top ventilation portal – critical for aeration and egg laying.
- Heavy duty, weather-resistant construction insures long life span, protection of colony from the elements and multi-year use.
- Fresh air enters through bucket slit, passively flowing through entry chute in bucket, which leads to the harvest slot in body and exits at convenience lid – continually maintaining aerobic conditions.
- Compact design is ideal for shade gardens and patios – compatible with rural, suburban and urban settings.
- Passive drainage of compost tea occurs through permeable drainage plate, allowing liquids to flow into collection area.
- Sturdy drainage plate phyically separates active colony from liquid catchment area, allowing liquid to pass through 0.5 cm holes.
- Pair of angled, 40° migration ramps allow for natural migration of grubs. Inner edge of 2″ wide ramps possess a raised lip to guide grubs and optimize auto-crawl-off. Ramps lead to harvest slit at top which overhangs the entry chute of the harvest bucket.
- Family friendly system provides children with an education in sustainability, the cycle of life, and organic gardening.
- Helps reduce carbon footprint associated with food scraps decay into methane in landfills by diversion and recycling.
- Faux stone appearance blends in naturally with landscaping.
- Dimensions are 26 x 16 x 16
Murray Hallam demonstrates how to use the Bio-Pod to harvest Black Soldier Fly Larvae as an alernative source of fish food in an Aquaponics system.