Electric Fly Swatters – Fun With Electronics!January 3rd, 2012 by Craig Mullins
Shoo, Fly! Shoo!
I don’t know about you, but I loathe flies. I’m sure they’re good for something in this world, as is every insect and flying nuisance, but there’s just something about flies that makes my skin crawl.
There isn’t much that bothers me more than a bunch of dirty flies, pestering me and everyone else in the room. They carry diseases and contaminate food. And when the nasty buggers land on something, all I can think about is how filthy they are and that they leave fecal matter every where they go.
Think I’m kidding? Check out these facts:
- Flies carry Streptococcus and Staphylococcus bacteria in their mouths and on their feet.
- The common housefly absorbs moist matter when it eats, and moisture, as I’m sure you’re aware, leads to bacteria and other nastiness.
- Those “fly specks” you see on your walls is actually vomit and fecal matter left behind by the fly, and contains harmful bacteria.
Diseases known to be caused by flies include, but are not limited to:
For information on the above mentioned diseases, their symptoms, and treatments (or lack thereof), visit Diseases of the Flies courtesy of ThinkQuest.
So how exactly does one be rid of these flying disease carriers?
Electric Fly Swatters!
And here’s my personal favorite:
Extra Large 2400 Volts Hand Held All Seasons Bug Zapper $24.99
TIZ-1 comes with a Hand Rope that you can slip your hand into and it is attached to the end of the Handle to prevent the Zapper from being released. It also is used to hang the Zapper for storage or for hanging outside during the day to kill Hornets, Meat Eating Bees, Fruit and House Flies. Power Button – One Push to Turn ON and One Push to Turn OFF. On other models you have to hold the Power Button the entire time you are using the Zapper. It has Dual power indicatiing lights, one on each side of the handle so NO matter which side is layed down the indicating light still shows if power is ON or OFF. Safety Power DRAIN DOWN of the Five Capacitors within 5 seconds after the main power button is turned off. Amost all of the portable rackets on the market hold the power in the capacitors some for months. Then when a person picks it up by the head it is possible to get a zap you did not want to get.
- (WARNING THIS IS NOT A TOY) The TIZ-3 has enough power to have the spark jump across the tiniest of insects unlike the Other models of Zappers. Ours kills Fruit Flies, Flees, Lice, Bed Bugs, Gnats, Mosquitoes, Small Ants and Fire Ants or Black Ants, Small up to large Roaches, House Flies, May Flies, Deer Flies, Horse Flies, Yellow Jacket Bees, Carpenter Bees, Hornets. Spiders, Centipedes, and Moths,Cave Crickets,Afghanistan Fly and bug tested.
- On the End of Racket Head there is a 5 ” Long Mini-Zapper that Kills all the bugs and insects listed above in Corners, Along Window Frames, Ceiling Corners, Wall Corners, straight up on the ceiling or straight down on the ground or along the Corner between the Floor and the bottom of the Wall or under or between cabinets or appliances.
- The TIZ-3 has Large Size Head and Long Handle to reach high into the Corner between the wall and the Ceiling to Zap the Spiders and other Insects. It is 21 1/2 inches long. 8.5″x10″ head and weighs less than 1 pound with two D batteries installed.
- The LED Light never has to be replaced. It Shines brightly on the Electronic Head. The Mosquitoes and other Flying Insects such as Fruit Flies will fly to the light when there is Total Darkness, and the Head Vaporizes Them With 2400 Volts of Power from Just Two “D” Size Batteries( Not Included) . Carbon, Alkaline or Rechargeable can be used.
- When Zapping Fruit Flies with this method: Move the fruit or what ever the Fruit Flies are on or in so that they are flying and then turn OFF the house lights so they are forced to fly to the light shining on the head of the zapper and then watch the action as they land. (THIS ZAPPER IS NOT RECHARGEABLE, But you can use rechargeable Batteries. )
Check out this review of the racket:
One of the sergeants bought a different brand of bug zapper and it was great entertainment to be able to launch our own indoor “Spring Offensive”. But that zapper used AA batteries and was 1500 watts. So it wasn’t too long before all the fun was over. I found this zapper and decided that two D size batteries should last longer. It definitely does! Also, the swatter head is significantly larger than the other swatters.
At two-thousand, four-hundred insect crushing watts of no-fly-zone power, everyone was pleasantly “shocked” on its inaugural run to see that first flash of light and large popping noise and… no fly! High-fives, hand-bumps and a loud, rousing round of HOO-AH! went around the room. A new benchmark had been set. Afghanistan has a corner on the market for flies. But with this zapper in hand, we are able to clear a large room of flies in a few minutes.
It’s great! After decades of torment from flying insects, to be able to take the fight to them. Mid-air kills–only a pipe dream with a manual swatter–are now a norm. Rather than waiting for them to fly into the room, some of the Soldiers have taken to relieving their stress by going outside and slimming down the population out there… because there are no more inside.
This product is built more ruggedly than the cheaper ones. The head does flex. But, after hundreds if not a few thousands of kills, the swatter is getting a little long in the tooth. Soldiers are just not that careful. I am writing this review, but as soon as I am done, I will buy a couple more today so that we can continue to control the skies over our hooches and common areas. This device literallly turns the whole fly problem on its head. Spectacular popping, flashing kills are the norm. Those that don’t pop end up on the ground twisting around like tops… glorious.
It’s time to establish your own No-Fly-Zone, now. Time to give some pent-up get-back after all these years. Bwah, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!
FIVE PLUS stars. A highly recommended product.